Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- From Parking Lot to Car Free Washington Square Park: Today is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Merchant’s House Museum
Posted on February 16, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on December 18, 2015 | No CommentsAs 2015 comes to a close and 2016 approaches, here is a look back at […]
Posted on December 2, 2015 | No CommentsAll this year we have been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the New York City […]
Posted on October 29, 2015 | No CommentsAs Halloween is right around the corner, we here at the Greenwich Village Society for […]
Posted on August 20, 2015 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP held a public program co-sponsored by The Merchants House Museum; The Merchant’s House Museum – […]
Posted on August 18, 2015 | No CommentsOn August 18, 1970, the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated landmark status to the grand Greek […]
Posted on April 16, 2015 | 2 CommentsA lot can happen in 50 years, and many of us are celebrating the 50th […]
Posted on December 9, 2014 | No CommentsDecember is chock full of holidays and no shortage of holiday tree lightings, carol singing […]
Posted on October 14, 2014 | No CommentsLast night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of […]
Posted on February 12, 2014 | 4 CommentsMany of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has […]