Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Unrecognizable: Former Village Institutions and what has taken their place: It’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 18, 2014 | 1 CommentAn early twentieth-century song entitled ‘The Greenwich Village Epic’ declares: ‘Fairyland’s not far from Washington […]
Posted on October 7, 2014 | No CommentsThinking of white glazed brick buildings can conjure images of boxy post-war high rises on […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on December 19, 2013 | No CommentsOn Tuesday we celebrated the Landmarks Preservation Commission vote to designate the South Village as […]
Posted on May 29, 2013 | No CommentsMills House Number 1 at 160 Bleecker Street (at Thompson Street) in the South Village was […]
Posted on April 12, 2013 | 2 CommentsEarlier in the week we looked at what sites the Landmarks Preservation Commission excluded from […]
Posted on March 27, 2013 | No CommentsLast week we received written confirmation from the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) that they intend […]
Posted on October 29, 2012 | No CommentsWe hope that you are staying safe and dry as Hurricane Sandy batters New York. […]
Posted on October 10, 2011 | 1 CommentColumbus Day has traditionally served as an opportunity to honor the contributions of Italian-Americans to […]
Posted on October 3, 2011 | No CommentsToday, the first Monday in October, is the traditional start of the new United States […]