Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 7, 2016 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village has been a hot-bed for creative theatrical minds since at least the beginnings […]
Posted on April 18, 2016 | 1 Comment50 years ago tomorrow, on April 19, 1966, the LPC landmarked St. Mark’s-in-the-Bowery Church. The Church […]
Posted on February 26, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
On this Day: Washington Square Village Found Eligible for State and National Registers of Historic PlacesPosted on February 23, 2016 | No CommentsOn this date in 2011, the New York State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), presented a […]
Posted on September 17, 2015 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples […]
Posted on September 16, 2015 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on April 21, 2015 | No CommentsToday is the 184th anniversary of the incorporation of NYU. Originally chartered as the “University […]
Posted on April 17, 2015 | No CommentsFor weeks now we’ve all been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the signing of New […]
Posted on February 23, 2015 | No CommentsThree years ago today, GVSHP and the Village won an important early victory in the […]
Posted on February 17, 2015 | No CommentsYou never know what you might stumble upon when walking around the neighborhood. Recently I […]