Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The First Landmarks Preservation Commission Hearing, September 21, 1965: Fifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on September 23, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real […]
Posted on September 1, 2016 | No CommentsWaverly Place and Mercer Street is just east of Washington Square Park. This unique part […]
Posted on August 30, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s “back to school” time again, when the temperatures drop (very slightly), students flood back […]
Posted on August 23, 2016 | No CommentsCharles Busch is the quintessential Villager. A prolific playwright and actor, he has lived in […]
Posted on August 17, 2016 | No CommentsTwenty-three years ago, New York Magazine was worried about the Village. And they weren’t the […]
Posted on August 9, 2016 | No CommentsSome things never change about New York City life; New Yorkers’ social lives have seemingly […]
Posted on August 3, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak On this […]
Posted on June 7, 2016 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village has been a hot-bed for creative theatrical minds since at least the beginnings […]
Posted on April 18, 2016 | 1 Comment50 years ago tomorrow, on April 19, 1966, the LPC landmarked St. Mark’s-in-the-Bowery Church. The Church […]
Posted on February 26, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]