Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- ‘Kate Spade House’ Wasn’t Always “Charming & Chic”: Over the past couple weeks, blogs have been buzzing with news and photos of 215...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 23, 2015 | No CommentsOne hundred nineteen years ago today, on March 23, 1896, a law introduced by New […]
Posted on September 24, 2013 | No CommentsF. Scott Fitzgerald, considered one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century and […]
Posted on July 30, 2013 | No CommentsNinety years ago, on July 31, 1923, the New York Times featured an article about […]
Posted on January 16, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day, January 16, in 1919, Prohibition took effect, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or […]
Posted on June 19, 2012 | 1 CommentRight around this time last year, we were more than excited by the filming of […]
Posted on July 6, 2011 | 8 CommentsGet out your trilby hats and flapper dresses- Boardwalk Empire, the HBO Prohibition-era mob drama, […]
Page 1 of 11