Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 23, 2014 | No CommentsToday marks William Shakespeare’s 450th birthday, although some sources say his exact date of birth […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on August 22, 2013 | 2 CommentsAn amazing resource that we have featured here and there on Off the Grid is […]
Posted on July 9, 2013 | 4 CommentsOn this day, July 9th, back in 1962, Bob Dylan recorded his song, “Blowin’ in […]
Posted on March 11, 2013 | No CommentsWith the important vote on the Hudson Square rezoning by the City Council’s Zoning Subcommittee […]
Posted on February 15, 2013 | 1 CommentFrom The Villager Newspaper, February 14, 2013 Op-Ed: Quinn Holds the Cards on Hudson Square […]
Posted on January 23, 2013 | No CommentsNinety-six years ago today a group of artists gathered at the top of the Washington […]
Posted on November 21, 2012 | No CommentsOn November 22, 1918, the first performances were staged at the Village’s renowned Provincetown Playhouse […]
Posted on July 17, 2012 | 1 CommentIn 2008 NYU planned to demolish the Provincetown Playhouse to make way for a new […]
Posted on March 22, 2012 | 1 CommentWe are thrilled to share with you the news that GVSHP successfully nominated the South […]