Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The End of the West Washington Market: On this day in 1954, the West Washington Market, which stood on the west side ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 22, 2017 | No CommentsThe celebration of Women’s History Month cannot go without being reminded of the venerable […]
Posted on December 8, 2016 | No CommentsOne of my favorite two-block sections in Greenwich Village may be an unlikely one – […]
Posted on November 16, 2016 | No CommentsThere is an absurdity in the photos and video which depict the event now known […]
Posted on May 3, 2016 | No CommentsIn 1955 the Committee to Save Washington Square Park was distributing flyers to alert the […]
Posted on April 22, 2016 | 2 CommentsToday is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some […]
Posted on March 18, 2016 | No CommentsJane Jacobs, who once lived on Hudson Street in the West Village, wrote the book, […]
Posted on March 1, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on February 2, 2016 | 1 Comment12 years ago tomorrow, our colleagues at the Municipal Arts Society sent a letter to […]
Posted on November 16, 2015 | No Comments“I have lived on the Lower East Side for seventy years. And when I came […]
Posted on August 13, 2015 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we are primarily concerned with Greenwich Village, the East Village, […]