Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Dog Day Anniversary: The wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years ago today ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 26, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on February 2, 2016 | 1 Comment12 years ago tomorrow, our colleagues at the Municipal Arts Society sent a letter to […]
Posted on February 17, 2015 | No CommentsYou never know what you might stumble upon when walking around the neighborhood. Recently I […]
Posted on November 14, 2014 | No CommentsCan you identify the image in the photo above? On Monday evening, November 17th, we’ll […]
Posted on June 24, 2014 | 1 CommentThey’re next door neighbors, but they could not be more different. One is high-rise and […]
Posted on January 21, 2014 | 1 CommentHere at GVSHP, we’ve been poring over the new South Village Historic District designation report, […]
Posted on October 17, 2013 | 2 CommentsForty-six years ago today, October 17, 1965, Pablo Picasso wrote in a letter that he […]
Posted on August 12, 2013 | 1 CommentForty-nine years ago today, on August 12, 1964, ground was broken for the construction of […]
Posted on August 7, 2013 | 1 CommentAs seen in: Don’t Believe REBNY’s Hype; Landmarking Can Help Affordability Read the […]
Posted on November 16, 2012 | No CommentsWhile we’re not yet technically at the ‘silver’ (i.e. 25th) anniversary, this Sunday will mark […]