Browse By Neighborhood
- A New Plan to Preserve the Small Businesses We Love and Need: Think about the neighborhood where you live, whether West Village or East, Astor Place or...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 23, 2015 | No CommentsOne hundred nineteen years ago today, on March 23, 1896, a law introduced by New […]
Posted on September 24, 2013 | No CommentsF. Scott Fitzgerald, considered one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century and […]
Posted on January 16, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day, January 16, in 1919, Prohibition took effect, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or […]
Posted on April 5, 2012 | 2 CommentsImage via Gothamist. It was five years ago today at 86 Bedford Street that a […]
Posted on January 13, 2012 | No CommentsToday marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks […]
Posted on July 18, 2011 | 2 CommentsJust last week the famed Copacabana nightclub reopened yet again. At its newest incarnation at […]
Page 1 of 11