Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Washington Square Park
Posted on April 3, 2014 | No CommentsWith the refreshingly spring-like weather making us long for a walk in the park today, […]
Posted on April 2, 2014 | 2 CommentsForty-six years ago today, on April 2, 1968, the groundbreaking film “2001: A Space Odyssey” […]
Posted on December 24, 2013 | No CommentsTraditions abound during the holiday season. For many, family and charity are top priorities, while […]
Posted on December 9, 2013 | No CommentsLast week, all eyes were on Rockefeller Center for the lighting of that famous Christmas […]
Posted on October 31, 2013 | No CommentsThe Village does Halloween like no other NYC community, featuring parades, festivals, and plenty of […]
Posted on May 24, 2013 | No CommentsOn May 25, 1967, the film Barefoot in the Park, based on the Neil Simon […]
Posted on May 2, 2013 | No CommentsWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our […]
Posted on April 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsOp-Ed from The Villager newspaper, April 25, 2012 http://thevillager.com/2013/04/25/quinn-and-city-cant-omit-3-key-south-village-sites/ Quinn and City Must Not Omit […]
Posted on April 25, 2013 | No CommentsCommon lore has it that the demolition of Penn Station fifty years ago was the […]
Posted on March 25, 2013 | No CommentsOne hundred and two years ago today, at approximately 4:40 PM, a fire broke out […]