Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 18, 2014 | No CommentsApril 18 and 19 mark two incredibly important Far West Village preservation anniversaries — each […]
Posted on December 12, 2013 | No CommentsOn Tuesday evening, GVSHP presented a program with architect, preservationist, and author Françoise Bollack about […]
Posted on December 2, 2013 | No CommentsThis week, our friends at the Jefferson Market Branch Library will host workshops for a […]
Posted on November 14, 2013 | No CommentsWe here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists’ residence […]
Posted on October 31, 2013 | No CommentsThe Village does Halloween like no other NYC community, featuring parades, festivals, and plenty of […]
Posted on October 29, 2013 | No CommentsIf the “art deco masterpiece” that is 570 Lexington Avenue no longer stood on the […]
Posted on October 8, 2013 | No CommentsYou don’t have to live in the Village to celebrate the birthday of John Lennon, […]
Posted on August 7, 2013 | 1 CommentAs seen in: Don’t Believe REBNY’s Hype; Landmarking Can Help Affordability Read the […]
Posted on March 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsMarch is Women’s History Month; the month-long celebration highlights the accomplishments of women in various […]
Posted on September 24, 2012 | No CommentsBettye Lane, a photojournalist who lived at Westbeth, died last Wednesday at the age of […]