Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Unrecognizable: Former Village Institutions and what has taken their place: It’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 17, 2016 | No CommentsNinety two years ago today, dance archivist David Vaughan was born in London, England. Vaughan […]
Posted on October 23, 2015 | No CommentsFour years ago this Sunday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted unanimously […]
Posted on August 7, 2015 | No CommentsForty-eight years ago today, on August 7th, 1967, the J.M. Kaplan Fund and the newly-constituted […]
Posted on March 13, 2015 | No CommentsMarch 14th is a date when several people with important connections to the Village will […]
Posted on October 28, 2014 | No CommentsThere are some people who can make great changes, come up with unique and far-reaching […]
Posted on October 27, 2014 | No CommentsThis October, GVSHP is presenting a course that explores historic preservation by examining changing styles […]
Posted on September 15, 2014 | 1 CommentCongratulations to our friends at The High Line! The third and final section of the […]
Posted on August 28, 2014 | No CommentsThe recent piece on PBS’ MetroFocus series about GVSHP’s book, Greenwich Village Stories (watch here) […]
Posted on August 14, 2014 | 3 CommentsI think I’m infatuated with Greenwich Village’s Hudson River waterfront. I can’t seem to get […]