Browse By Neighborhood
- A Sad Farewell to Joe’s Dairy: After 60 years, Joe’s Dairy, a small South Village institution specializing in fresh mozzarella (plain, salted, and smoked) will cl
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on March 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsMarch is Women’s History Month; the month-long celebration highlights the accomplishments of women in various...
Posted on September 24, 2012 | No CommentsBettye Lane, a photojournalist who lived at Westbeth, died last Wednesday at the age of...
Posted on August 29, 2012 | 4 CommentsAs most everyone knows, we’re kind of map and statistics geeks here at Off The...
Posted on April 16, 2012 | 10 CommentsA recent visit to the highly-anticipated Keith Haring exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum, Keith Haring:...
Posted on February 16, 2012 | 2 CommentsTwenty one years ago today, we lost one of the most memorable and enduring figures...
Posted on January 12, 2012 | No Comments61 Washington Square South, before it was demolished in 1948, was known as the House...
Posted on November 18, 2011 | No CommentsRising like an ark over Christopher Street, the Archive Building’s construction and multiple uses over...
Posted on October 27, 2011 | 1 CommentEarlier this week, we were thrilled to announce that Westbeth – the country’s first subsidized...
Posted on October 25, 2011 | 2 CommentsThe New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) just voted unanimously to landmark Westbeth, following...
Posted on August 23, 2011 | 1 CommentThis weekend, tour guide Lawrence Frommer and Fourth Arts Block executive director Tamara Greenfield led...