Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Tenement House Act of 1901: April 12, 1901 marks the date when the New York State Legislature's passed the Tenement ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Women’s House of Detention
Posted on April 18, 2017 | No Comments“Miss West, are you trying to show contempt for this court?” “On the contrary, your […]
Posted on March 29, 2017 | No CommentsThe following is an updated re-posting originally authored by Dana Schulz. It was on this […]
Posted on June 14, 2016 | No CommentsBeside the Jefferson Market Library and behind the wrought iron fence between 6th and Greenwich […]
Posted on August 24, 2015 | 1 CommentAcclaimed author and journalist Tom Wolfe is known for his use of New Journalism (employing […]
Posted on April 8, 2015 | No CommentsOn this date 80 years ago President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act. […]
Posted on September 2, 2014 | No CommentsMuch of the Village Voice from the 1950s to the mid-2000s is available to view […]
Posted on March 28, 2014 | 2 CommentsIf one has the occasion to think about incarceration in the Village, many long-time residents […]
Posted on June 27, 2013 | 2 CommentsOn Monday evening I attended the Jefferson Market Garden Friends’ Annual Garden Party. If you […]
Posted on March 6, 2012 | No CommentsIt was on this date in 1951 that the infamous espionage trial of Julius and […]
Page 1 of 11