Greenwich Village Historic District
Between West 12th Street, Seventh Avenue and Greenwich Avenue
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: A brick building built in the mid-1980s and designed by Ferrenz and Taylor. Application is to amend Certificate of Appropriateness 12-7254 for the demolition of the building and the construction of the park.
2) LPC Designation Report: An architectural and historical description of the building is available in the designation report.
3) Photos of the application: Modified design approved on February 5, 2013
4) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like GVSHP to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
Monday, July 19, 2012 at 6:30pm
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2′s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application).
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission public hearing:
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at time TBD
The Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th Floor North, public hearing room
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, please check the LPC public calendar on the right-hand side of their website for the approximate hearing time (we recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior). Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. At this hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions. Public attendance and testimony are welcome (note: this will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application).
3) Email Community Board 2 or the Landmarks Preservation Commission
If you cannot attend the public hearings but would still like to comment, please click here to contact the Community Board or the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Be sure to send them your comments before the hearing dates indicated above.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. You can read more about public meetings on our blog, Off the Grid.
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.
- 2/5/13: Amended application approved at today’s LPC meeting. Changes were based on feedback the design team received from the Public Design Commission, which is part of the Parks Department. The biggest changes are the removal of the plantings and the oculus from the structure, which was done in an attempt to simplify the design of the memorial. The metal slats are now thinner to allow for more light underneath the structure. The backs of the bench seating were lowered to 6″ high and handicapped seating was added at the eastern end.
- 11/27/12: Application approved at LPC today, and is now closed.