Our House is on Open House This Weekend!
Since 1999, GVSHP’s office has been housed on the second floor of the Neighborhood Preservation Center (NPC) at 232 East 11th Street. The entire building housed the rectory of the adjacent St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery until the lower floors were restored after a fire to house NPC and the top floor reserved for church use. This weekend, the building will be participating in Open House New York.
The rectory building, completed in 1901, was designed by Ernest Flagg in the Beaux Arts style. Flagg also designed the (now demolished) Singer Building downtown, which was once the tallest building in the world, the Scribner Building, and the Plant and Scrymser Pavilions at St. Luke’s Hospital in Morningside Heights.
The St. Mark’s Historic Landmark Fund has been conducting a research project about the cultural history of the building and will be presenting their preliminary findings.
You can visit the building as part of Open House New York from 1 P.M. to 5 P.M. on Saturday and Sunday (October 15/16). More info