Newest Library Acquisition
Over the summer we told you about the 1959 Greenwich Village Guide book published under the auspices of The Villager newspaper. This past week GVSHP received a donation to our library which included a 1947 version of the Greenwich Village Guide. This edition features advertisements from some venerable Village businesses and institutions.
Some of the institutions and businesses are still with us today:
This 144-year-old restaurant is still serving up steaks in the Gansevoort Market neighborhood. Recently, they hosted a dinner for those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Grace Church and Judson Memorial Church are still welcoming congregants to their parishes today.
Unfortunately, many of these places are no longer around.
From 1896 to 1955, Wanamaker’s Department Store served the residents of the Village. To read more about the history of the store and its buildings, visit our earlier blog post about the store.
Built in 1845, the stately Hotel Brevoort stood in this location until 1954, when it was demolished to make way for a 19-story apartment building. Read more about the hotel’s history in the July issue of WestView News.
While we don’t know much about this business, the Washington Square Shop reminds us of the many owner-operated specialty stores in the Village today.
The 1947 Greenwich Village Guide, among many other titles, is part of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation’s library. The library is open to all researchers with an appointment. Visit the GVSHP library webpage to learn more.