Then & Now: 99 Seventh Avenue South
The site at 99 Seventh Avenue South in Greenwich Village today houses the Garage restaurant, but seventy-five years ago, it was home to the Nut Club. The building was constructed in 1919 as a garage after the lot was cleared for the southward extension of Seventh Avenue in 1917.
The garage gave way to The Nut Club — a tourist nightclub that played up its Village location and sometimes ‘zany’ acts, including the rather questionable (for an eating/drinking establishment) cockroach races.
The Nut Club would eventually close its doors, to be replaced on the site by a long-running off-Broadway theater, the Sheridan Square Playhouse. The theater opened in 1958 and eventually housed the Circle Repertory Company through the 1990s.