Lucky Seventh Anniversary for Some Lucky Federal Houses
Seven years ago today, on July 24th, 2007, two very lucky federal rowhouse survivors on Greenwich Street were landmarked, thus insuring their nearly 200 year run of good luck would continue.
You can read the landmark designation report for these and other individual landmarks in Hudson Square on GVSHP’s website here.
486 and 488 Greenwich Street were built around 1820 by John Rohr, a mason. In 2003, GVSHP and the New York Landmarks Conservancy identified these two federal-style (1790-1835) rowhouses and eleven others for a total of thirteen houses we proposed for landmark designation to the Landmarks Preservation Commission (view the full proposal here).
Several of the others, including 127, 129, and 131 MacDougal Street, 4 St. Mark’s Place, and 67 and 94 Greenwich Street have been individually landmarked. 7 Leroy Street was included in the South Village extension of the Greenwich Village Historic District GVSHP proposed, which was designated in 2010. And 57 Sullivan Street, which has been under consideration for landmark designation since 1970, was heard again for potential landmark designation in 2009, but still has not been designated!
Fortunately we have made some great progress on designating other federal-style rowhouses over the years through other means as well. Literally dozens of these incredible survivors have been landmarked as part of historic districts GVSHP has helped secure designation of — in the Far West Village, the South Village, the East Village, and NoHo.
To see more of the federal houses GVSHP has helped get landmarked, click here.
To learn more about the effort to protect federal era rowhouses, see GVSHP’s webpage here.