4 St. Mark’s Place, also known as the Hamilton-Holly House and current home of Trash and Vaudeville, was recently in the news as it came on the market for $11.9 million. This building was built in 1831 and designated a NYC landmark in 2004.
As part of Landmarks50, the celebration of this year’s 50th Anniversary of the NYC Landmarks Law, we are taking a look at some of the many and varied individual landmarks in our neighborhood. Read more of our Landmarks50 entries here.
GVHSP led the effort to landmark this historic building with research funding from the Preservation League of New York State and the New York State Council on the Arts. Read our report on 13 Lower Manhattan federal houses here.
This Federal style home was built by English-born real estate developer Thomas E. Davis, who was responsible for developing St. Mark’s Place between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. It was purchased by Alexander Hamilton (son of the founding father Alexander Hamilton) in 1833 for $15,000 (about $435,000 in current dollar value). Hamilton lived in the building for the next nine years. From 1843-1863 the building was owned by oil and candle merchants Isaac C. Van Wyck and his son Cornelius. From 1863-1903 it was owned by butter merchant John W. Miller, who added a two story rear addition and first floor meeting hall in the 1860’s.
The building was owned by the musical instruments firm of C. Meisel, Inc. from 1901-1952. The building was home to the Tempo Playhouse, New Bowery Theater, and Bridge Theater, which, according to the designation report, were “noted venues for experimental theater, contemporary music and dance, and early underground films”. Th report also states: “from 1969 to at least 1993, the first-story space was Limbo, a clothing store. Since 1980, Trash & Vaudeville has been a tenant, now occupying the entire basement and first-story commercial spaces. The upper stories are residential.”