Ernest Flagg Roundup!
On November 12th, 1968, Firehouse Engine Co. 33 at 44 Great Jones Street was designated a New York City landmark. The design of the firehouse, a “distinguished example of French Beaux Arts architecture,” is attributed to architect Ernest Flagg. Flagg has designed quite a few significant buildings around the neighborhood and today we are rounding up our posts on his Village buildings.
Read this to learn more about Firehouse Engine Co. 33:
GVSHP’s office in the Neighborhood Preservation Center is located in the Ernest Flagg-designed rectory of St. Marks-in-the-Bowery Church; read more about it here:
Mills House Number 1 was a large, experimental ‘reform housing’ project in the South Village. Read more about this South Village landmark designed by Flagg:
Not in the Village, but GVSHP was part of a coalition working to save the City and Suburban Homes Company buildings on First Avenue on the Upper East Side. This complex is significant for their design and their pioneering role in social housing reform. The concept was based off of the light-court tenement, a building type first proposed by architect Ernest Flagg in Scribner’s Magazine in 1894: