Big New Step for the Village Preservation/Urban Archive Partnership

Big New Step for the Village Preservation/Urban Archive Partnership
The image on the left of Washington Square Arch at night was taken before 1 Fifth Avenue was built in 1927.

Urban Archive is a location-based mobile app that empowers New Yorkers to learn about history where it happened. The site brings together the digital collections of New York City’s museums, archives, and libraries in an easy-to-use resource built for discovery. Since 2017, Village Preservation has partnered with Urban Archive to increase access to our image archives and resources, recreate historic photos, host scavenger hunts, and to create walks of Bleecker Street, the Bowery, Immigrant Heritage sites around the East Village, Freewheelin’: Bob Dylan’s Village, and more.

And now, in a big step for Urban Archive, this information is freely available to all users on any device including iOS, Android, and desktop.

The image on the left was taken before 1 Fifth Avenue was built in 1927.

Village Preservation’s and Urban Archive’s missions match up nicely. We want to see what’s visible and invisible, we want to take time to notice what’s around us that ties our city to its roots, and in making those roots tangible we see how important our neighborhoods are. Check out everything Village Preservation has to offer on Urban Archive here. 

Urban Archive includes maps, lists, walks, scavenger hunts, a “this day in history” calendar, and dedicated archives from Village Preservation, the Museum of the City of New York, the NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, the NYPL, and many more.

See more at urbanarchive.org/villagepreservation

And don’t forget to share your new favorite historic buildings with us by tagging Village Preservation and Urban Archive on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter!

The photo on top was taken by Carole Teller in the NoHo East Historic District on the Bowery in 1980. On the left is 312 Bowery aka 2 Bleecker, built in 1868. On the north side of Bleecker is 1 Bleecker, designed by prominent architects David and John Jardine and built in 1869.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tagged with: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*