Even More Daytonian in Greenwich Village
On April 29th, 2019, we launched our new interactive map, Greenwich Village Historic District, 1969-2019: Photos and Tours, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Greenwich Village Historic District. In the months since we have been expanding the map, both adding new tours and adding new entries to existing tours. In addition to showing images of every one of the over 2,200 buildings in the Greenwich Village Historic District as they looked in 1969 and today, we now have over 800 sites that appear on various tours exploring the architecture, history, and culture of New York City’s largest historic district.
One particular set of recent additions appears on our “Daytonian in Manhattan” tour, a tour of sites in the Greenwich Village Historic District from the blog ‘Daytonian in Manhattan’ by author and historian Tom Miller. The Daytonian blog provides thoroughly-researched and in-depth accounts of the histories of buildings and monuments throughout Manhattan (just go to www.gvshp.org/GVHD50tour and click on the links for this and other tours). Here are some of the highlights of the recent additions:
Rentz & Lange’s 1889 257 West 10th Street
257 West 10th Street was built in 1889 and designed by Rentz and Lange in the Renaissance Revival style with Queen Anne details, most notably its bracketed raised cornice with a sunburst motif at the center. Over the course of its history, this otherwise pleasant looking building was the site of a smallpox outbreak and of a terrifying robbery. Go to the tour for more details.
The 1901 Panhard & Levassor Bldg – 230-232 West 13th Street
This structure was originally built as an “office, factory, shop and stable” designed by Robert Maynicke. It had numerous tenants over the years including an elevator manufacturer, an embalming school and a drug-manufacturing firm. Its first tenant was perhaps the most interesting, the Panhard & Levassor Company. This was a Paris-based manufacturer of automobiles and motorboats; Panhard would in fact win the first Vanderbilt Cup automobile race in 1904. Go to the tour for more details.
LeBrun’s 1892 Engine Company 18 — No. 132 West 10th Street
Designed by N. LeBrun & Sons, this 1892 firehouse was built for Engine Company 18. Napoleon LeBrun was responsible for the designs of literally dozens of New York City firehouses beginning in 1879, when he became the official architect of the New York City Fire Department. The firefighters of Engine Company 18 (now Squad Company 18) have served the local community and New York City through many historic tragedies as well as day-to-day events, including responding to the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in 1911 and the World Trade Center attacks in 2001. Go to the tour for more details.
The Greenwich Village Historic District Tour Map, and the Daytonian
This is just a taste of just some of the recent additions to our Greenwich Village Historic District Map’s Daytonian Tour, as well as just some of the overall recent additions to the map. Its development is an ongoing labor of love, and these storied, historic buildings are now in the company of nearly a thousand other entries. Explore the rest of the “Daytonian in Manhattan” tour for all of the spots located in the Greenwich Village Historic District written about by expert researcher and architectural historian Tom Miller in his blog Daytonian in Manhattan (Tom hails from Dayton, Ohio originally).
Visit the map here.
Our current tours include:
- Immigration Landmarks
- Course of History Changed
- Transformative Women
- Most Charming Spots
- Social Change Champions
- Artists’ Homes
- Homes and Haunts of Great Writers
- Houses with Dormers
- Buildings Designed by George Frederick Pelham
- Street Name Origins
- Edward Hopper’s Greenwich Village
- Mid-Century Modern
- Music Venues
- African-American History
- LGBTQ Sites
- Pineapples, Pinecones, and Acorns of the Village
- Musicians’ Homes
- Movie and TV Show Locations
- Wood Frame Houses
- Buildings Designed by Emery Roth (& Sons)
- Little Flatirons of the Village
- Homes of Preservationists
- Daytonian in Manhattan
- Jewish History