Tag: Far West Village

Mourning the Loss of Superior Inks, and Taking Stock of Its Replacement

For over 85 years, the 195 foot tall smokestacks of the Superior Inks building were a local landmark and beacon for the Far West Village. They were also a vital link to the Greenwich Village waterfront’s maritime/industrial heritage, as in

This Day in Preservation History- October 11, 2005: City Approves Far West Village Rezoning

In the ten years leading up to 2004, the Far West Village along West Street experienced huge changes. Large, out-of-scale luxury developments were built where only low-rise buildings had been found for generations along the waterfront. In response, GVSHP and other

Looking Back to When Paris Was Burning

The landmark documentary Paris Is Burning was released on August 1, 1991.  Filmed in the mid-to-late 1980s, the film is an intimate peek into New York’s LGBTQ culture, specifically ball competitions, where participants dress, dance, and compete in a number

159 Charles Street: A Greek Revival Gem in the Far West Village

Designated on November 14, 2006, 159 Charles Street is significant as a relatively rare surviving residential building of the early period of development of the Far West Village. This individual landmark was constructed around 1838 as a Greek Revival style

Tax Day History in the West Village

Tax Day may not be our favorite day of the year.  But it bears an important connection to one of our favorite Far West Village landmarks. Before the U.S. Income Tax was enacted in 1913, the majority of the Federal

Zoning Does Matter: Townhouses, or A Tower?

ZONING MATTERS: REZONED WEST VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT SITE WOULD HAVE ALLOWED HUGE TOWER, NOW MARKETED FOR TOWNHOUSES ~ Hearing Jan. 14 on Univ. Pl./B’way Rezoning Proposal It has recently been reported that the two-story duplex co-op apartments at 8 Charles Lane/151-157

Remembering the Original New Yorkers

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we thought that we should share a brief history of the original New Yorkers, the Lenape. When the Dutch arrived in New York in 1624, there were approximately 15,000 Lenape Indians living on Manhatta, translated

Saving Sacred Spaces

After a nearly half-century wait, last week the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission finally voted to approve landmark status for the 150-year old religious building located at 334 East 14th Street, now the Tifereth Israel Town & Village Synagogue, and prior to

Looking Back and Looking Ahead

Last night, in the main gallery of the Salmagundi Club on 5th Avenue, GVSHP Executive Director Andrew Berman gave a lecture/slideshow about the state of historic preservation. Over the past 10 years we have seen a lot of changes in

277 West 10th Street, Then & Now

Located at the corner of West 10th and Washington Streets, the imposing building at 277 West 10th Street was built between 1894 and 1896 to the designs of Martin V.B. Ferdon. Now residential, it lies within the boundaries of the

Top